What We’re Doing When We Should Be Writing is back, because we here at Grub are dedicated to bringing you the best literary links the internet has to offer. This week, we’ve got anti-beach reads, the latest in literary fashion, and some dinner ideas from your favorite authors. Check back next week for even more distractions!
- Check out these photographs of awesome people reading.
- “A combination of grassy notes with a tang of acids and a hint of vanilla over an underlying mustiness.” This may sound like your wine snob friend’s take on a glass of merlot, but it’s actually how chemists describe the smell of old books.
- It’s a book! It’s a purse! It’s a book-purse!
- And then, all of a sudden, out of nowhere…came your next transition! The Writing Teacher addresses how to more gracefully bridge the gap between scenes in your novel.
- This MFA project reimagines fonts as superheroes with Sans Serif playing the role of Batman, Script as Spiderman, and Serif as Superman.
- The anti-beach reads: Jaws (for obvious reasons) and eight other books you might want to leave at home when you head to the beach this summer.
- John Irving on tattoos: “They’re road maps of where your body’s been.” Check out his and other famous authors’ tattoos on Flavorwire.
- More from Flavorwire: how to eat like your favorite authors, complete with recipes, including Ernest Hemingway’s Pan Fried Trout, Elizabeth Bishop’s Brownies, and Allen Ginsberg’s Cold Summer Borscht.