Welcome back to a presidential edition of What We’re Doing When We Should Be Writing. Now that the presidential campaign is over with, you can stop checking polls and political statistics and get back to procrastinating the Grub-approved way–by reading inspiring articles about writing. This week, read hilarious author reactions to film adaptions of their work, or, if your inner political wonk isn’t satisfied, discover the poets who inspired some of our nation’s leaders. Come back next week for more literary links.
- We hope you’ll take this list of strange rituals used by very productive writers as an excuse to spend more time lounging in your underwear–this ritual is Cheever-approved.
- “The whole experience felt rather like finding Gandhi playing Connect 4 with your plumber in the cupboard under the stairs.” Read ten authors’ funniest responses to film adaptations of their work.
- Check out twelve of your favorite writers looking bright-eyed and baby-faced in their very first author photos.
- Here are ten awesome secret passage bookshelves we wish we had in our library.
- From Amy Tan on creativity to J.K. Rowling on the benefits of failure, we hope these TED Talks by writers will lend some inspiration to your day.
- Check out The Poetry Foundation’s list of presidents and the poets that inspired them–to be perused while standing in line at the polls.
- Are you this committed to your favorite book? Check out Flavorwire’s gallery of tattoos inspired by children’s books.